March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
[S][GIRLYGANG] Ready Player One
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2024 23:47:20 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Between her Ranger duties and her transfer to Petalburg, Shalin had been far too busy to consider a trip to Round One. The Girlygang had proposed a vacation to Slateport for a week. While her intent was to enjoy water-based activities, the large port city was also home to the largest Round One arcade in the region. She wasn't going on this trip without her e-AMUSEMENT card.

"Thanks again for inviting me, Genny," Shalin greeted the Elite Ranger. "I'm glad you remembered me, because it had been quite a while since we'd seen each other." Peak hours would come later and inevitably cause lines to get a bit long, though certain areas of the arcade were already busy. "What are you looking forward to playing most? I can't get away from the music and rhythm games. Was quite good at them when I could come here regularly."

{PC: 1}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
Roads may be rough and tough, though it will lead somewhere.
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2024 1:48:16 GMT
Genevieve Cromwell Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]
[attr="class","genny1body"]

Relaxation on the beach with had been nice, but now, as she had finished getting a lovely tan, and dressed a little more for the street, she had invited Shalin out to the Arcade. Round One, if she recalled.[break][break]

"Of course! I remember the tournament really well." It was a nice tournament too! She enjoyed it quite a bit. "It was a good battle!" She would look about the Arcade, a place she never really went. Round One was nice, but she never played games like this. She had one of those old school retro consoles back in the day, but by the time she became thirteen, she stopped playing regularly.[break][break]

With the excitement behind the music and rhythm games, Genny's eyes widen. "Oh? Those sound fun! I'm more-" she pondered it. "I'll admit, I'm kind of new!"

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Genny is excited to come here! YE. She's happy Shalin was able to come![break]
- Genny is kinda green with games, so she's not sure what kind of gamer she is.

[attr="class","genny1pkmn"]

[attr="class","genny1credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".genny1"]--accent:#FF5349;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 b"]color:var(--accent);font:800 14px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1credit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2024 3:29:58 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"It was!" Shalin replied, remembering how close she came to being on the podium; had barely edged her out in points. "Wouldn't mind having a rematch against you sometime, but with different Pokémon!" Now was not the time for something as strenuous as a Pokémon battle. Perhaps for Shalin, it would be; some of the games in this section, she could play nearly the hardest content they had to offer.

Having been inside one of these arcades, specifically the Mauville branch, she had an idea how it would be laid out... and where she had to go so they could get money loaded onto their cards. Modern arcade machines were not coin operated; one loaded money onto a card, and that card would be used to add credits to the game. Though some old machines had coin slots, they had all been disabled in favor of this modern system.

After loading quite a bit of money onto the card, Shalin listened for the sound of bass speakers rumbling, which guided her to the rhythm hall. There were several kinds of cabinets there: one, a game with seven piano keys and a turntable. Another, nine colorful buttons in two rows. A third, six black and white buttons and two knobs. A particularly flashy one was shaped like a washing machine, with light sensors all over a vertically-oriented ring. The one that drew Shalin's attention the most was a four-panel game that was played with one's feet. Quite the crowd seemed to be around the game as a blonde lady seemed to be scoring well on a medium-level song. "What do you think, Genny? Any of them have your name?" Shalin asked, though her eyes shifted back to the dance cabinet. After all, it was the game she was most skilled at out of the bunch.

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2024 20:51:15 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]

A rematch? Genny grabsat the back of her head! It was luck! Genny had her fair share of losses, and getting slammed constantly with tougher and tougher foes, such as and , she knew she would never hit the podium. But her and Gordo definitely made the try.[break][break]

"Why not? Sounds fun!" She beams lightly, looking over the different arcade machines. And remembers a time back way back when. One cabinet in Alola she went to when she was just a young girl, her dad taking her to her first visit.[break][break]

And how she gravitated towards a fighting game cabinet. But that wasn't really feminine, was it?[break][break]

Taking a moment to reach Shalin's own excitement, turning her gaze out towards the cabinets, she seemed to be looking at one dance-pad game, with four-panels. A blonde girl seemed to be doing great, good footwork working the rhythm game. While Genny was no dancer, she was interested.[break][break]

"Let's do that one!" She doesn't hold back from it. Shalin wants to do it? They'd do it. "Looks easy enough, just step on the inputs as the arrows reach the outlines, right? It's all rhythm!" Something that Genny...[break][break]

Might be good at.

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Genny accepts the promise to rematch one of these days. She doesn't believe she'll be quite as good as Shalin, as luck was on her side. But who knows?[break]
- Seeing Shalin's interest in the DDR-inspired game, Genny agrees to that one, thinking it was a good idea and investment of their time!

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".genny1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".genny1 .genny1credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2024 23:44:59 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Perhaps not a rematch with the same Pokémon, but a good old-fashioned Pokémon battle would help both of them get closer to their team... and a little morbidly, prepare for the ensuing war. Now was not the time to think about it, though; they were there to have fun! "Yep, that's exactly it! Though I prefer to listen to the music instead of visually timing it."

The duo approached the cabinet, the Captain stopping to appreciate the current dancer's skills. "She's... quite good," Shalin pointed toward the blonde female playing alone, the player properly using the rail behind the four panels. That she took one hand off it when making moves across her body impressed her the most. A siren played from the machine as she finished her last song, a sign that she had earned an Extra Stage. The chart she had selected was mesmerizing to watch, the girl's steps matching the piano track's arpeggios exactly. It almost looked like she was drumming with her feet. "Wait, when did Perditus Paradisus get crossed over?" Shalin asked no one in particular.

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2024 1:16:45 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]

Huh. Genny understood the movements, and analyzing it quickly enough, it seemed correct. The dancer's movements corresponded with the arrow keys below, each step in time with the music. The track itself very nice, the piano was pleasant to the ears, and Shalin seemed to gravitate to the song in particular. It seemed to be a new addition?[break][break]

Really, it's the dancing that has Genny in awe, her eyes watching the movements. It's like a form of cardio, and from all the work she had done over the months to train her body, it didn't seem too hectic. Maybe she could start mixing something like that in?[break][break]

"Should we do that one?" Genny's head turned to her friend, brow risen and curious.

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Genny watches the great dancer, and is impressed with their moves! It's almost like cardio![break]
- Asking Shalin, Genny wonders if they should do the song she was so interested in!

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2024 0:57:17 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
As pleasant as the piano sounded, it was also intense. With it being her first song, she needed time to warm up. Tapping the up arrow twice in rapid succession, she dropped the chart difficulty from EXPERT to DIFFICULT... but even on that red-colored difficulty, the chart was rated high enough that it would show up in the early rounds of high-end tournaments. "I think I'd like to try the toughest chart for this song once I'm warmed up," she explained to Genny, "but not yet. The 14 should still be fun!"

Shalin made her selection and showed Genny around the options menu full of ways to customize her gameplay experience. There were options to increase or decrease the size of the arrows, the speed at which they scrolled, background opacity, and the like. "Speeding up the arrows gives you less time to react, but it spaces them out more and can make them easier to read. See that green number? That's what your scroll rate will be after your options are applied. Try setting it to about 300. See how you like it." Shalin's was close to double that, which would make her patterns zoom up the screen.

Once both had adjusted settings to their satisfaction, the first stage would begin. Were Genny to play on a lower difficulty, she might notice Shalin's chart starting before hers did.

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2024 2:52:27 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]

Better to warm-up! Makes sense, can't go all out at the start, the body would be too tired. It made perfect sense, and when it came down to it, this rhythm game was just one helluva cardio workout! Pulling her jacket off, and tying her hair up into an orange ponytail, she begins to stretch as Shalin shows her how the game works.[break][break]

It's simple enough, the arrow speed allowed a trade-off of reaction time and reading. Literally, a balance of mind and reflex, that was cool! "Interesting..." She sees Shalin's 600...[break][break]

And decides that 300 is fine, but she turns it up to 450. She was good at cardio, this was her bread-and-butter, so a little gap-closer was in order. Besides, if she didn't get a good workout, what was the point.[break][break]

After her stretching was done, it was time to move! And with it, Genny let Shalin pick the song, before realizing, very very very quickly, how difficult this game would be. Just seeing Shalin's arrows go before her own, has Genny almost stunned, before turning to her own.[break][break]

Time to make the body move!

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Being that it is working out, Genny hears the explanation as she gets her jacket off and stretches, and decides to raise her speed to 450. To try and match Shalin.[break]
- She should have heeded the warning! Genny sees Shalin's start immediately, and begins to move her own body.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2024 2:49:44 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The chart's opening was calm enough, until the lead piano kicked in and the Captain's footsteps sounded like a Ponyta's clacking hooves. A couple onlookers may have heckled her for using the rail behind her for balance, particularly on sections that required her to turn her body away from the screen, but her goal wasn't on looking smooth while playing. Her goal was to score. A collective groan sounded when Shalin dropped her first GREAT! judgment just before the interlude: their first and only break.

During the second half, the chart would grow more dense and tiring, the last ten seconds especially tiring. As the results screen came up, the girl snapped her finger. "Maaaaaan, I thought I was gonna sightread Perfect it. One lousy Great..." she huffed, taking a picture of the results screen with her phone before the game prompted them to pick their second stage. "Once I'm warmed up, I'd love to give the 17 a try. I can imagine how it goes already."

Switching to difficulty sort, Shalin opened up the LEVEL 15 folder and let Genny browse its contents. Of course, she was free to play on a lower difficulty if she wanted. "See if you can find something you like in here!" she gestured, the folder containing close to two hundred charts. Surely there would be a tune that made the orange-haired Ranger smile.

Perhaps REMO-CON's Condor?

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2024 16:30:50 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]

Genevieve Cromwell was not exactly adept in rhythm games. In fact, the best she could say she could do was somehow hit close to the beat. But this was a lot different than just cardio. It was all about timing, and reading at a breakneck speed, and she not ever having done a rhythm game like this... to say by the first interlude she had a low score was an understatement. Seeing Shalin get the GREAT! has her laugh.[break][break]

Looks like the second match was Shalin's after all.[break][break]

No matter how fast Genny wanted to move, the second half was definitely even more strenuous, and by the results, Genny leaned against the back-railing, and breathed heavy. Shalin was a prodigy at this kind of thing.[break][break]

"Wow," Genny wipes the beads of sweat from her forehead, as she calls out. "Hah. When you do, I'll have to watch. Didn't realize how hard this was." She pats both of her cheeks, as she looks to Shalin with a smile. "I'll get it eventually!"[break][break]

When Shalin offered to choose a song, and the massive library, there was definitely some choice paralysis at play. There was just too many. Part of her liked certain songs from a few moments, but...[break][break]

How could she just decide? She hits one at random. CONDOR, and turns to Shalin for confirmation.[break][break]

"This one okay?"

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Genny... is not a rhythm girly. She did not do well in the score, and while she's out of breath, she's trying to keep up. Round two to Shalin.[break]
- With a little choice paralysis, she picks Condor at random, asking Shalin if its okay.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2024 1:46:21 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin smiled upon seeing Genny's selection. "This chart's super fun! Really technical, but fun," she said as a tech-dance beat, constantly swapping between standard and swing beats, blared through the speakers. "It has to be technical; you don't see a lot of 15s that have such a slow beat." She noticed how much her Ranger friend was dripping sweat, too. "You'll like it, too; the lowers are a lot easier." Cranking the difficulty up to CHALLENGE, it was one numeric level higher that she song she previously played. Most of the lowers were in the single digits, which would likely be far more comfortable for to play. If she struggled with the last song she played, this one was a full two levels lower on the same difficulty.

Shalin double-checked her options before kicking off the second stage. Just like before, her note chart started before Genny's. While it was not nearly as fast as the last song, it was far more technical, alternating between swing beats and standard beats. Within the first few notes, the patterns had already made her twist her body to the left, then to the right. Were the young Ranger to glance over, she would see at one point, Shalin's right foot was on the left panel, and her left foot on the right panel.

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Genny
She/Her
July 19th
Hau'oli City, Alola
Bisexual
Full Time Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
827 posts
part of
TAG WITH @genevieve
Genevieve Cromwell
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2024 17:06:33 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","genny1"]

All Genny can do is try and enjoy it now. Shalin does well to ease her concerns. "That's a relief. I don't think I can do another high-octave one," she wipes the beads of sweat from her forehead, and begins moving, and though she's keeping tabs on her track, she glances out of the corner of her eye...[break][break]

Was... Shalin looking? Her feet were on the opposite sides. She's nuts! she thinks to herself, but she grins to her friend, as she bounces around herself.[break][break]

This track is a lot more forgiving than the last. Her movements bounce around and to-and-fro. She's starting to get it! She starts actually hitting keys closer to the beat, realizing something in the midst of every movement of her feet.[break][break]

She likes games like this.

[break][break]

NOTES

- STREET CLOTHES[break]
- Genny's having a lot easier a time this song, and she's finally getting it![break]
- She's starting to like rhythm games!

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,896 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2024 3:33:47 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Even with all the ways the stepchart contorted and twisted Shalin's legs, she seemed to really be enjoying herself. The green "FULL COMBO" splash at the end made her smile, even though she had achieved a Perfect Full Combo on the song before. It was just satisfying to nail every single twist the chart had to offer. "Nice job!" Shalin complimented, offering Genny a high five as the song select wheel came up again, giving them roughly a minute and a half to choose the final track. "Normally, you get three songs per credit, but if you perform really well on your final song, you get an extra song!" That extra song would, of course, come with stipulations... such as a very strict life bar.

As she spun the wheel, a thought came into her mind. "Do you want to see the series' very first boss song? It's even older than I am!" Shalin offered with a sly smile on her face. She highlighted the track, the preview a driving HARDCORE TECHNO beat that fans of the series would instantly recognize.

There was very little trickery to this chart. It was all straightforward, with the exception where the notes (and the music itself) would completely stop for several seconds, forcing the players to either react to the notes starting up again, or more likely, simply have the timing memorized. Other than the one gimmick, it was dense and nonstop. Fitting for the very first song that pushed players to their limits over two decades ago.

{PC: 6}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven